Loving One by One

Friday, May 19, 2006


Just less than 5 weeks, I'll be boarding the long, tiresome airplane ride back to Uganda. The purpose of the trip is to have Debra Morris work with the children and the teachers at New Creation Centre, and to work with the Jjokolero AIDS & Orphans Village. My goal is to be able to present them with enough money, through donations, to purchase several more goats to really kick start their becoming self reliant. The lady is the picture with me is Jovita. Jovita is the woman who was the tailor that I contracted to make the uniforms for the school. She attends the church where my teachers are affiliated. She is a widow, her husband was killed by the rebels in the north, so she is trying to make a living raising her 2 small children. When Jovita and I went to town to purchase the material and thread, I found out she didn't have her own machine. I never dreamed she didn't own a machine. She can't afford her own machine, so she rents a small cubicle space about 4 feet by 4 feet. Really, it's that small! When all the beautiful uniforms were completed, I paid her the price she quoted me and asked how much of the money would she be able to keep. To my surprise she was only going to get 10% of the total cost of the uniforms. A small wage for the amount of work she put in. Jovita also informed me that she knew how to use the knitting machines that would make awesome sweaters for the children. Wanting to be sure that Jovita could take care of her two young boys, we were able to purchase her a used sewing machine from Japan and a knitting machine (apparently you cannot even buy a new machines in Uganda, unless you order it). Now Jovita is able to take in work and retain almost all her wages, except for the rental of electricity - she has no electricty or running water, just a roof over her head with cement floors. She's one of the lucky ones, she has cement floors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home